a camp for kids who love to write…
just about anything!©
Designed and created by Gail in 1996, YouthWrite
- is a multi-disciplinary approach to writing and creating;
- is inclusive;
- offers young writers the chance to work with superbly talented instructors from many facets of the performing, visual, musical, dance, film, and written arts;
- is all about the creative arts and creative writing and celebrates critical and creative thinking;
- seeks to broaden young participants’ global and environmental awareness, modelling writing as a powerful tool for activism;
- offers classes that address multiple learning styles;
- cares about who and where you are – past and present participants – WE want to stay in touch with YOU and celebrate your growth and achievements;
- offers an online Blue Pencil Café for participants to work one-on-one with instructors après YouthWrite;
- invites participants, instructors, supers, and alumni to stay connected and involved – STAY in touch! Let us know about your writing and career achievements!
- features online writing by young writers;
- will be crossing borders and oceans with opportunities to take the YouthWrite experience overseas;
- is a collective of past instructors, supervisors, and coordinator working together to bring you the experience you’ve come to know and love for fourteen years;
- is one of the passions of my life!!!
- To boldly go where young writers long to go!
Spoken Word Youth Choir (SWYC)
- Created by YouthWrite participants and Gail in 2007, SWYC is all about embracing the spoken word!
- Through our own words and others’, we create performance pieces that bring poetry to life.
- To date, Spoken Word Youth Choir has performed at:
- Spring Awakening Cabaret for YouthWrite, Edmonton, 2011, 2012.
- Spruce Grove Winter Games, Spruce Grove, February 2012.
- YouthWrite, Edmonton, 2010, 2011, 2012.
- International Spoken Word Festival, Calgary in 2010 and 2011.
- WordsWorth 2009, Bragg Creek, July 2009.
- Steeps Tea House, Edmonton, June 2009.
- Edmonton Restorative Justice Network, Edmonton City Hall, April 2009.
- Edmonton Poetry Festival, Audrey’s Books, Edmonton, March 2009.
- CANWRITE – Canadian Authors Association National Conference, Edmonton, AB, July 2008.
- Creative Cities Conference, Edmonton, AB, Fall 2007.
- Edmonton Cultural Capital Gala, Edmonton, AB, Fall 2007.